Wedding day fitness tips from Shelley Priest Personal Trainer
So the engagement whirlwind has died down, you have booked the venue and you’re thinking – i need to get into shape for the big day!! I know the feeling, we are all the same when it comes to big events in our lives.
Many will try fad diets or crazy workout binges to fit into that perfect dress and that dapper tux but it’s best to go at it with a more balanced and healthy approach, so we have asked Shelley Priest, a local personal trainer (& my baby sister!) for her fitness tips for to share with all you beautiful people!
Photo via Body Perfect
So a little background on Shelley so you know her credentials before reading her fitness tips.
‘Hi! My name is Shelley Priest, I am Level 2 Qualified Fitness Instructor, Level 3 Qualified Personal Trainer and a Qualified Nutrition Adviser. I run my own business called Shelley Priest Personal Trainer where I either train clients in my home gym or take the equipment to them and train them at their own homes. I have a passion for Fitness as have been on my own fitness journey from being unhealthy and doing no exercise, to losing weight the unhealthy way by over exercising and not eating enough! Now I have found my happy balance it motivated me to pass my PT qualifications so I can get out there and help others achieve their fitness goals as loving the skin you are in and having a healthy, balanced lifestyle is so important.’
My tops tips for to help you lovely couples get into shape are:
- Give yourself enough time to lose the weight realistically, slow and steady weight loss is more sustainable and enjoyable! If Weight loss is your goal, being in a calorie deficit and exercising by doing a mix of cardio and resistance training 3-5 days a week is a good aim.
- The more time you give yourself to lose the weight the more enjoyable it will be as the calorie deficit won’t have to be as low and it will be easier to fit workouts around your lifestyle rather than trying to squeeze in as many as you can in the last 4 weeks leading up to the wedding! It depends on the bride or grooms current weight/fitness levels also but I would recommend a good few months. Obviously the more weight to be lost, give yourself longer.
- Nutrition does play an important role in terms of being healthy and weight loss. A few of my favourite recipes that are quick and easy would be chicken stir fry (peppers, onions, mushrooms & spinach in a Cajun or fajita spice or tinned tomatoes as a sauce which is a lot lower in sugar and carbs than most jarred sauces), sweet potato cottage pie using lean mince & pan fried salmon with chopped sprouts, chorizo, and veggies!
Picture via Shelley Priest Personal Trainer
- Time is a big issue for so many people these days, what with everyone having such busy lives and trying to plan a wedding around everything else! So for brides and grooms with a busy schedule then HIIT (high intensity interval training) is a fab way to work out as it only requires 20-30 minutes of your time! It has been proven to be more effective than an hour of steady state cardio! There are plenty of videos on YouTube to follow. HIIT can include full body exercises which is a great calorie burner and as you are working maximum effort with short breaks this is really is a go to when short on time and in need of losing a few pounds!
- Mental wellbeing is so important and is something that shouldn’t be neglected, when you exercise your body releases chemicals called endorphins. When released, endorphins improve our mood and make us feel better so it is a great stress reliever, as well as the bonus of looking good from the results of working out and eating a healthy balanced diet. Exercise is also a great way to take your mind off the stresses of the wedding as you will be focusing on your fitness goals so it is a great way to clear your mind of all other thoughts.
Photo via Guides for Brides
So hopefully these are a few top tips to help you out on your fitness journey to look amazing in that dress!!!
If you are in need of some great workouts and beautiful recipes head over and check out her facebook page.
Thanks for the read all!!!